Estonian Language and Culture Resources
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Digital Libraries
Estonian-English Online Dictionary
- Institute of Baltic Studies' English-Estonian Dictionary
- Forvo Pronunciation Dictionary
Crowdsourced guide to pronunciation of Estonian words
- Eesti Keele Instituut Estonian Dictionary
- Dictionary of Estonian Language
- Estonian Etymological Dictionary
- Slangi Dictionary of Estonian Slang
- Voro-Eesti Synaraamat
Dictionary of the dialect of Voru in southeast Estonia
Encyclopedia about Estonia
Introduction to Estonian, with guide to alphabet and basic phrases
Basic phrases and vocabulary in Estonian
Reading & Writing
- Estonian Institute Language Textbook
Illustrated introduction to Estonian language, history, grammar, etc. (PDF)
- The Little Prince in Estonian
Listening & Speaking
- Estonica: Orthography and Pronunciation Guide
- BBC Languages "quick fix"
Essential Estonian phrases with mp3 files
- Forvo Crowdsourced pronunciation dictionary by native Estonians
Online Course Materials
Online course for beginners
- I kinda like languages
Five introductory Estonian lessons
- Live Lingua Project
Introductory online lessons in Estonian through the Peace Corps
News & Media
- Estonian Folk Songs
PDF Archive of old Estonian folktales
Arts, Films & Music
Classic Estonian literature with translations in French
- Kalevipoeg by Friedrich Kreutzwald
- Writing from the Edge
Introduction to Estonian literature in English translation
- Poetry International
Poems by Estonian writers with audio
The UI Main Library Film Collection
The UI Main Library offers extensive media collections in various languages. To find films, please visit the UI Main Library website and follow these steps:
1. Select "advanced search"
2. Scroll down to "Limit Search to":
3. Choose your specific language and
4. Choose "Video-all" for "format."
Language Media Center (LMC)
For more language-related holdings, please also check the Language Media Center Catalog.
To borrow materials from the Language Media Center, please contact the LMC, 120 Phillips Hall.
Iowa City Public Library Catalog
The Iowa City Public Library holds materials for several less commonly taught languages. Please check the catalog by typing the name of your language.
International Writing Program (IWP) Writers
To view a biography and/or writing sample of each participant, please visit the IWP's website and find the participant via the search function.
For more information on how to become a consultant for ALLNet or if you are a UI faculty/staff member or student who wishes to study critical or less commonly taught languages (LCTLs), please contact email@example.com